The Official RONR Q & A Forums

bylaws

Guest radar

A change to our bylaws was presented to our organitition for a vote and it did not passed by a 2/3 vote but was sent baxck to the bylaw committee for revision, after a lot of debate it has been decided by the bylaw committee that this change should die in committee, are we obligated to come back with another prosposed change to present at the next general meeting. The bylaw committee has been given the power to have changes die in committee, your thoughts

are we obligated to come back with another prosposed change to present at the next general meeting. The bylaw committee has been given the power to have changes die in committee, your thoughts

It seems like you may have answered your own question. In general, committees do not have to provide alternative proposals to whatever was referred to them. But you do have an obligation to report back to the assembly which referred the proposal to you - in your case, something like "the committee believes no further action is warranted on the referred proposal".

A change to our bylaws was presented to our organitition for a vote and it did not passed by a 2/3 vote but was sent baxck to the bylaw committee for revision, after a lot of debate it has been decided by the bylaw committee that this change should die in committee, are we obligated to come back with another prosposed change to present at the next general meeting. The bylaw committee has been given the power to have changes die in committee, your thoughts

My thoughts are that the use of passive voice makes it impossible to tell by whom it was decided, and from whom this power has been given. But if the committee has the power to do a certain thing, and has decided that it wants to do this thing, then I don't see what is stopping them from doing this thing.

Also, I can't find a question in your question.

Archived