The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Throwing out a passed motion

Sailorbuoy

An adopted motion can often be rescinded or otherwise amended but simply "throwing it out" is not a recognized parliamentary option. Raise a "point of order" at the next meeting. In the mean time, I'd act as if the motion were still in effect. Or at least not act as if it had been thrown out.

6byWRj

In our 10/2012 condo HOA meeting, a motion was made with a second and passed. In a followup meeting held last week, the passed motion was simply thrown out and ignored.

What do you mean by "thrown out and ignored?" Who threw it out and ignored it, and why?

What is the course of action to have an accepted motion set aside and what is the recourse at this juncture"

The appropriate course of action would have been to rescind the motion, or maybe to rule it out of order. I think we need to know more of the facts to determine how to proceed from here.

An adopted motion can often be rescinded or otherwise amended but simply "throwing it out" is not a recognized parliamentary option. Raise a "point of order" at the next meeting. In the mean time, I'd act as if the motion were still in effect. Or at least not act as if it had been thrown out.

I'm not so sure, based on the limited facts presented. It's possible that the membership voted to "throw out" the motion (which is clearly intended to rescind the motion). Or that the chair "threw out" the motion because of a continuing breach. So if the only issue here is that they didn't use precise language, then I don't think there's any cause to raise a Point of Order now.

If the chair just threw out the motion because he didn't like it, or something similar, then I agree with your response.

It's possible that the membership voted to "throw out" the motion (which is clearly intended to rescind the motion). Or that the chair "threw out" the motion because of a continuing breach.

Anything's possible. But "simply thrown out and ignored" suggests something other than the mere absence of the parliamentarily precise language.

29rb34

Archived