The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Using a point system to vote

Guest Walter Smiley

In my county we have a party convention coming up. In order to elect members to the executive baord a point system has been proposed. On each ballot a person who is first on the ballot would recieve 25 points. On another ballot if he is second on the ballot he would get 20 points. On another ballot if he was third he would get 15 points, and so on. Each candidate is listed on the ballot and depending on how the voter ranks him gets certain points. The points from all ballots are then tallied up. The candidates with the most points are elected to the board.

According to what I read in RONR 11th Edition page 441 LL 10-24 this does not seem appropiate.

This is the first time that I have posted a question, if I have done it incorrectly let me know.

Walter Smiley

chessman101@hotmail.com

In my county we have a party convention coming up. In order to elect members to the executive baord a point system has been proposed. On each ballot a person who is first on the ballot would recieve 25 points. On another ballot if he is second on the ballot he would get 20 points. On another ballot if he was third he would get 15 points, and so on. Each candidate is listed on the ballot and depending on how the voter ranks him gets certain points. The points from all ballots are then tallied up. The candidates with the most points are elected to the board.

According to what I read in RONR 11th Edition page 441 LL 10-24 this does not seem appropiate.

This is the first time that I have posted a question, if I have done it incorrectly let me know.

Walter Smiley

chessman101@hotmail.com

You appear to be describing a form of preferential voting, and if so, it cannot be used unless its use is expressly authorized in your bylaws (RONR, 11th ed., p. 425, l. 33 to p. 428, l. 26; p. 573, ll. 25-28).

This response assumes that your bylaws classify members of your executive board as officers, which should be the case (RONR, 11th ed., p. 572, l. 23).

Archived