The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Motion

Guest John V

Our church Pastor Search Committee will make a motion to the membership Sunday (recommending a candidate). However, because the individual will need to attend several QA sessions the members will not vote until March 17. Question: what does the Chair do with the motion Sunday since there will be no vote?

The chair, as an individual, does nothing, but he can recommend - perhaps ahead of time to a member who would make the motion - that somone move to postpone futher consideration of the candidate until after the Q&A sessions, or to March 17. The members (congregation) meeting this Sunday will vote on whether (or not) to postpone.

It is sort of a technicality, but I am assuming there will be no (business) meetings of the congregation until March 17.

If there is, let us know and I can suggest something different.

The chair, as an individual, does nothing, but he can recommend - perhaps ahead of time to a member who would make the motion - that somone move to postpone futher consideration of the candidate until after the Q&A sessions, or to March 17. The members (congregation) meeting this Sunday will vote on whether (or not) to postpone.

I would have guessed the committee would rise and report it's recommendation/nomination to the membership, and that would then be brought to a motion/vote at the March 17 meeting. I would not have expected a motion to come out of this committee report if the vote is not for three more weeks. Just thinking out loud.....

Is a recommendation/nomination from a committee not a motion?

Not necessarily. Generally, when the reporting member concludes a report that contains recommendations, the member makes a motion on behalf of the committee to adopt those recommendations. The member could leave out that last step. Of course, another member might make the motion anyway, either because he's not clear on why the committee member didn't make a motion or because he just really likes the committee's recommendation. So then we're back to what to do about that motion.

Our church Pastor Search Committee will make a motion to the membership Sunday (recommending a candidate). However, because the individual will need to attend several QA sessions the members will not vote until March 17. Question: what does the Chair do with the motion Sunday since there will be no vote?

Do your rules actually require these Q & A sessions and that the vote may not be taken until March 17? If so, I believe the chair could simply announce that the motion is postponed until March 17, in accordance with the assembly's rules.

If not, I concur with Dr. Stackpole that the chair should simply state the question on the motion and let the assembly work out what to do with it, but making some suggestions to members prior to the meeting wouldn't hurt.

The bylaws require the QA. Could the chair restate the motion and state that the vote will take place March 17?

It will ultimately be up to your organization to interpret its own rules (see RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation), but that seems appropriate based on the facts presented.

Archived