The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fix time to which to adjourn vs. adjourn?

woodpusher

The motion to adjourn is not debatable and not amendable - how does the "fix time to which to adjourn" trump it?

If member A states, "I move we adjourn," is it actually amendable to member B stating "I move we adjourn and resume next week?"

Or is it that member A's motion dissolves the session (there is no time specified to resume business, so the session is over?), while member B's motion continues the session?

The motion to adjourn is not debatable and not amendable - how does the "fix time to which to adjourn" trump it?

If member A states, "I move we adjourn," is it actually amendable to member B stating "I move we adjourn and resume next week?"

Or is it that member A's motion dissolves the session (there is no time specified to resume business, so the session is over?), while member B's motion continues the session?

The latter is correct, although Mr. B's motion should be stated as "I move that when this meeting adjourns, it adjourn to meet next week at the same time and place," or something of that nature. The motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn does not end the session, but provides a time for its continuation.

Archived