The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Insubordination of 1st VP

Guest nk

Can a President of an Non- Profit organization get rid of a insubordinate (1st VP )who sporadically responses to e-mails, does not respond to phone calls on issues and currently is not doing their job duties assigned to them. Also, has ignore the request of the President to have a private conversation to speak to them about their attitude that is putting a negative driving wedge in a executive Board especially at Board meetings. This person is working on their own agenda ,not giving the support or direction of the current President's administration and underminded it.

Can a President of an Non- Profit organization get rid of a insubordinate (1st VP )who sporadically responses to e-mails, does not respond to phone calls on issues and currently is not doing their job duties assigned to them. Also, has ignore the request of the President to have a private conversation to speak to them about their attitude that is putting a negative driving wedge in a executive Board especially at Board meetings. This person is working on their own agenda ,not giving the support or direction of the current President's administration and underminded it.

Each member has a duty to the organization, nota duty to support another board member's agenda. The President/Chair is meant to be impartial.

Are you sure this isn't the case of a President acting as dictator?

Do your bylaws require the VP to take telephone calls or answer emails? If not, there may not be a problem here. Some members of some organizations strictly conduct business within the meeting. You may want to look at your bylaws and look at the duties of the VP before you get ahead of yourself.

While the President may have authority to assign duties to the VP - and be sure to check your bylaws - he is not meant to be a dictator where every Board member answers to him. The President serves the Board and often at the pleasure of the Board if not a general membership. I would tread carefully if I were you, and review your duties and roles before FAQ #20 is applied to you. I say this because you said "the current President's administration" which suggests to me the possibility that you do not understand this role - but that all depends on what your bylaws state.

Archived