The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidents authority

Guest Linda P

It would not be incorrect or an abuse of power, IMHO, for him/her to state "I am the president of the XYZ Group."

The larger question is whether he is within bounds to state further "we favor enacting rules that would ban skateboarding on Main Street" without having had his organization take such a position. If he implied that the group favored such a position when, in fact, they had taken no such action, he could be subject to discipline by the group.

OTOH, the group might decide to comment him for getting involved.

-Bob

The legislative issue that he has taken a non authorized stad on is regarding taxation of gambling games at less then half of our local non profit homes. This issue is a local post concern. The organization is a 501c19 veterans organization and does not recognize gambling games or bar actitivities. This is a local issue.

I suppose "non-authorized" is the parliamentary key to your note.

It will be up to your organization to decide wat to do about the president's statement(s), or what to do about the president himself.

If he is clearly offering his own opinion, not claiming it comes from the veteran's association, I doubt that there is much you can (or should) do.

Archived