The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Not Recognizing Motions

Guest anon

The President will sometimes refuse to recognize motions from the floor if he seems them not worth everyone's time. Usually I don't have a problem with this, but the concept is worrisome. If he won't recognize a potentially worthwhile motion, is there a way to overrule him?

The President will sometimes refuse to recognize motions from the floor if he seems them not worth everyone's time. Usually I don't have a problem with this, but the concept is worrisome. If he won't recognize a potentially worthwhile motion, is there a way to overrule him?

The chair of a meeting can rule a motion out of order if it is being offered solely to obstruct business or waste time. He can't rule it out of order because he doesn't like it (although see below). Any ruling that a motion is out of order can be Appealed by any member with a second, in which case the matter is decided by a majority vote.

If the chair believes that an original (new; not related to any business that is happening or has happened) main motion is not worth considering, then the chair can put the question on whether to consider the motion before it's considered. In this case, it requires a two-thirds vote against the consideration of the motion for it to be ignored. Otherwise, the chair cannot

If the chair is simply ignoring motions, then any member can raise a Point of Order that the motion should be considered, and the decision can be Appealed.

That's what the step of "seconding" the motion is for.

You don't recognize motions, you recognize members, who then make motions.

Presuming that he would have to have heard the motion before deciding if it was "worth everyone's time", I guess that happened.

Then, did you, or anyone else, second the motion after it was made? If not, then the chair was right not to state the motion and place it before the assembly. He should have said, "the motion dies for lack of a second".

But if the motion was seconded, he can't just refuse to deal with it. He either opens it to debate, or he must rule on why he thinks it is out of order, and state his reasons.

If he doesn't, anyone can rise to a point of order, and the chair will have to rule on that.

Either way, his ruling is subject to Appeal.

Archived