The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating a slate of officers

Guest Lynn

RONR, without using the word "slate", says that the NomCom offers nominations for all open offices.

If your bylaws require a ballot, then everybody gets to put a check mark next to the NomCom's offerings, or check the opposition candidate for that particular one office. Or write in (and check-mark) somebody else for any of the offices.

If no ballot is required, the chair declares the uncontested candidates elected by acclimation, and you vote on the contested postion.

The use of the word "slate" should be avoided as it suggests that members must (or at least should) vote for a particular group of candidates.

Except for the selections of the nominating committee, individual candidates are nominated by individual members and voted on for individual offices. It's rare for most organizations to have a "slate" of candidates in the same sense that political parties will field a slate of candidates.

Yet "slate of officers" nets seventeen million, five hundred thousand hits on google. Maybe it's not so outrageous.

And fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong.

But I never said it was outrageous. And I suspect the vast majority of those hits refer to political parties and not to the annual meeting of the local dog club. In any event, I think our experience on this forum suggests that the term "slate" is often misleading.

9246tr

What does RROO say about the present officers offering a slate of officers to expedite the election process if no one else is nominated? What if there is one position with opposition?

Officers are members, they can offer nominations for office just like any other member.

RONR doesn't speak of slates but there is nothing that would prevent an officer from nominating a group of people and also saying that they recommend them.

But their nominations are no better or worse than any other nomination.

Unless you bylaws or rules allow for voting for all offices at once, then if offered as a complete group, a member could object and require voting on each office.

And I suspect the vast majority of those hits refer to political parties and not to the annual meeting of the local dog club.

I looked through the first few pages of results, and it seems to me that the reverse is true. It appears quite common for organizations to refer to the report of the nominating committee as the proposed "slate" or to refer to the list of elected officers as the "slate."

In any event, I think our experience on this forum suggests that the term "slate" is often misleading.

I'm not sure the word "slate" in and of itself is a cause for alarm - although I concur that in this case, its use is a bit concerning due to the talk of "expediting the election process."

• 1 month later...

As commonly understood, is a "slate" one candidate for each office or may a "slate" have more than one candidate for a particular office?

"Although it is not common for the nominating committee to nominate more than one candidate for any office, the committee can do so unless the bylaws prohibit it." RONR (11th ed.), p. 433

As commonly understood, is a "slate" one candidate for each office or may a "slate" have more than one candidate for a particular office?

I'm not sure there is a "common understanding" of the word "slate" which is why it should probably be avoided. Are you referring to the selections of the nominating committee? If so, see Mr. Mervosh's answer. Are you referring to the ballot? If so, there are likely to be several candidates for each open office.

By the way, this forum works best if you start a new topic with your new question (even if you find an existing topic that's similar).

Archived