The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum info

Guest ruth

I'm wondering what the rules are in regards to board members running into each other in public places.  The board is a 5 member board so 3 constitutes a Quorum but if 3 people attend a public function (school concert, or all in same store) is this considered a Quorum or are they allowed to socialize outside meetings as long as they are not discussing Board matters?

Idk if I'll get notice of replies but email is rmattson2011@yahoo.com

I'm wondering what the rules are in regards to board members running into each other in public places.  The board is a 5 member board so 3 constitutes a Quorum but if 3 people attend a public function (school concert, or all in same store) is this considered a Quorum or are they allowed to socialize outside meetings as long as they are not discussing Board matters?

They're allowed to discuss whatever they want, but nothing constitutes an official decision of the board unless it's at a properly called meeting of the board, called to order with notice having been given or with every member present.

However, there are some bodies (such as School Boards or other Governmental Agencies) that might have laws in place which limit the Board members' ability to talk turkey outside of Thanksgiving Dinner (talking business outside of the Board meeting). So you might want to check to see if any such laws are applicable to the Board.

I'm wondering what the rules are in regards to board members running into each other in public places. The board is a 5 member board so 3 constitutes a Quorum but if 3 people attend a public function (school concert, or all in same store) is this considered a Quorum or are they allowed to socialize outside meetings as long as they are not discussing Board matters?

Idk if I'll get notice of replies but email is rmattson2011@yahoo.com

Is this a public body, or a private society?

Archived