The Official RONR Q & A Forums

published minutes

Guest Bill Grant

My study of Roberts Rules about minutes states to us,“that minutes are a reporting of what actions were taken, however

if they are to be published, then the minutes are to reflect what was said, therefore what was done. Am I correct?

if they are to be published, then the minutes are to reflect what was said, therefore what was done. Am I correct?

You might have been correct under the 10th edition but the current, 11th, edition now distinguishes between the "done-not-said" minutes and the "done-and-said" proceedings. See item #101 here.

No. The minutes are the minutes, and are a record of what was done. Published accounts of a meeting, called "Proceedings" are another matter, and you almost certainly do not publish your proceedings in the sense that is meant by RONR.

Any such record or transcript of the proceedings prepared for publication, however, does not take the place of the minutes, and it is the minutes which comprise the official record of the assembly’s proceedings.

My study of Roberts Rules about minutes states to us,“that minutes are a reporting of what actions were taken, however

You're out of date. It's been clarified in the 11th edition that the actual minutes should always contain what was done, not what was said. Some assemblies will publish more detailed "proceedings" of their meetings, which may contain what was said.

...you almost certainly do not publish your proceedings in the sense that is meant by RONR.

With the new rules about "proceedings," I think the debates about what constitutes "published" are a thing of the past. An organization is not required to have proceedings, so there's no longer a need to use the "published" debates to explain to assemblies why they don't need to include debate simply because they put their minutes on a web site. An organization can determine whether to have "proceedings," what to put in them, and how it wants to "publish" them.

Archived