The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Topic - Can any member of a board make a motion and then call for a vote without involving the President?

Guest Grace

We have a member of our board who takes it upon himself to make a motion, get a second and then call for a vote without involving the President at all. He just "takes over" rather than deferring to our President for the vote. Is this allowable under the rules?

He didn't get a second.

Someone yelling Second, is not a second.

The chair has to ask. Until someone is recognized and seconds it didn't happen.

Actually, someone yelling "Second!" is a second. Seconding a motion doesn't require recognition. Likewise, it is appropriate for a member to second a motion before the chair has requested a second - thus making such a request unnecessary.

The problem here is the member taking it upon himself to state and put the question on the motion.

We have a member of our board who takes it upon himself to make a motion, get a second and then call for a vote without involving the President at all. He just "takes over" rather than deferring to our President for the vote. Is this allowable under the rules?

I would say that this is much more a problem with the President than it is with this member of the board.

Also, is this a small board, operating under informal rules? In an informal setting, I can see a member saying "are we all in favour of this?", to help move the meeting along.

Also, is this a small board, operating under informal rules? In an informal setting, I can see a member saying "are we all in favour of this?", to help move the meeting along.

Well, while it may help to "move the meeting along", I don't believe anything in RONR gives this authority (i.e. to announce a motion adopted by, or at the very least to call for, unanimous consent) to anyone other than the chair.

He didn't get a second.

Someone yelling Second, is not a second.

The chair has to ask. Until someone is recognized and seconds it didn't happen.

Ummmmmm No. Someone saying "Second" without being recognized is the standard method for seconding. The chair need not call for a second, and some people believe that he should not.

Well, while it may help to "move the meeting along", I don't believe anything in RONR gives this authority (i.e. to announce a motion adopted by, or at the very least to call for, unanimous consent) to anyone other than the chair.

Oh, I quite concur - but would assign more blame in this to the chair, rather than to the member (given how I'm currently interpreting the question, at least).

I'm also having difficulty with the "[we] have a member of our board who takes it upon himself to make a motion" part - horrors! someone who took it upon himself to make a motion! :)

Archived