The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approve agenda motion

Guest Carri

How do I bring a motion to approve the agenda, which hasn't been happening, so I can then request a change to the agenda?

Gain recognition and make a motion to approve the agenda. Assemblies which regularly adopt agendas generally do this right after approving the minutes.

Can the chair vote on it?

See FAQ #1.

How do I move to censure?

Gain recognition and make a motion "To censure so and so for such and such." This time, you'd make the motion during New Business (unless this is related to your question about putting a motion on the agenda, and you succeed in putting it on the agenda - then you'd make it when it comes up in the agenda).

And can I do it for the purposes of quieting a chairperson who misrepresented our board outside of his authority who has since resigned?

The motion to censure expresses the assembly's disapproval, and you can make the motion for any reason you desire. Whether it will be successful in "quieting" someone likely depends on the personalities of the people involved.

Additionally,  you may wish to count your potential votes of support before you make a motion to censure, otherwise, you're likely to not only fail, but draw ire from board members who do not support you.

On the otherhand, if you intend to make the motion as a statement, regardless of whether it carries or not, you may not care about whether or not it passes, but again, be aware of the ire you may draw and whether or not it is worth it.  In otherwords, if you succeed in putting yourself on the outs, you're not likely going to be effective making the positive change you seem to express is your goal.

Archived