The Official RONR Q & A Forums

electing a president

We just had a board meeting and at conclusion we elected new board members well out of the blue someone was elected from floor that was not present and the person that was electing them was not even sure that they would accept well that person got one more vote than the returning president. Does that person need to have been there . The votes right now are also in question need help

Not adding up with how many people were in attendance

Are there more votes or less votes than members present? If there were less votes than members present then there probably isn't a problem since you may have had members who abstained. If there were more votes than members present you may have a problem but before getting too worked up you all should determine if there were members who voted and then left and taking that into account the numbers do add up.

Someone can be nominated for a position without being present, and then elected without confirmation that the nomination would be accepted. Once this person who was elected is informed that they were nominated and elected, they can decide whether or not to accept the office.

Out of curiosity, did you have a board meeting, or a general meeting? Does your board elect members, or do the general members elect members? I'm not quite following what happened.

General membership meeting year end

We were electing the same board members as last year but a person nominated this person and they then did a silent vote there were only 10 people present and 3 provisional votes which is 13 the vote came out 9 to 7 and one of the 10 had two votes so the total I see is 14 not 16

We were electing the same board members as last year but a person nominated this person and they then did a silent vote there were only 10 people present and 3 provisional votes which is 13 the vote came out 9 to 7 and one of the 10 had two votes so the total I see is 14 not 16

Sounds like whatever happened may have been as confusing as that sentence. Tip: punctuation is very useful.

"We were electing the same board members as last year" - presumably this means you were holding elections, and the only people nominated were the people currently in those positions.

Do you mean a ballot vote, for a silent vote? If so, how were the ballots counted? Did anyone compare the number of ballots to the number of voters at the time?

I'm getting confused between people and votes. You had 10 people present, plus 3 provisional votes? Are these 3 additional people? What on earth is a provisional vote?

Why does one of the 10 get two votes? In RONR, it's very explicitly 1 person 1 vote. However, your bylaws may vary - but only if they specifically state that a person may have more than one vote.

At the moment, my advice would be to buy a copy of RONR and new RONR in brief, and try it all over again, but let's see what else people say.

I'm puzzled about what a "provisional vote" is in this context. I've only heard this term used before in public elections. Additionally, no one gets two votes unless your Bylaws or applicable law so provide.

As for the mismatch with the votes, that is a problem, and since the two "extra" votes could have affected the result, the vote is void and must be retaken.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.