The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Jafri Sayed

Constitution states: Minutes of all Executive Committee meetings, including teleconferences, shall be kept and promptly promulgated to the Association members within 30 days of the meeting.

So if a vote is caried out in Executive Session, do the members have the right to see the passing of that vote in the promulgated minutes?

At the same time Executive Session simply means that discussion is private, however as Boards routinely meet in Executive Session, decisions are eventually going to become known. For example, an increase in dues may be discussed and voted upon in Executive Session, but when members are informed of the increase (when their membership is up for renewal) then members know what was decided in Executive Session.

Constitution states: Minutes of all Executive Committee meetings, including teleconferences, shall be kept and promptly promulgated to the Association members within 30 days of the meeting.

Do your bylaws actually use the word "promulgated"?

Are the minutes "promulgated" before they're even approved?

Are the minutes individually "promulgated" to each member? Are they "promulgated" on a bulletin board? A website? Is "promulgate" really the best choice of words?

Yes, it says promulgated. They are sent by email but the voting outcomes are currently not being sent. Want to argue this violation of the constitution but wasnt sure if i have grounds to point out that its required or not since they are using executive session as an excuse.

What specific 'voting outcomes' are you looking for? Certainly the minutes should include all motions made and how they are acted upon - adopted, defeated, postponed, referred to committee, e.g. - but vote counts, if that's what you want to see, are not usually given unless the vote is actually taken as a counted vote. If you want to know the vote counts, your membership could adopt a special rule of order requiring the executive committee to take all votes as counted votes.

What I got was "Executive Committe entered into an Executive Session. There was no further business and the meeting adjourned."

I know this not to be true because at least 2 items passed and 1 item did not based of phone calls from the President. Bruce, to answer your question I am looking for the outcomes of any votes at a minimum!

So if a vote is caried out in Executive Session, do the members have the right to see the passing of that vote in the promulgated minutes?

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own Constitution. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

If that's all the Constitution says on the matter, however, I'm inclined to agree with the other responses that "all" means "all."

Archived