The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Constitution Revision Motion Language Question

I'm advising an organization that is working on a full revision of its Constitution (i.e. creating a brand new document to replace the old). When the new document is ready to be considered by the members during a business meeting, what would that process look like and what specific motion language would be involved? I'm assuming that moving to accept the whole revision is not wise practice or the correct language.

I'm advising an organization that is working on a full revision of its Constitution (i.e. creating a brand new document to replace the old). When the new document is ready to be considered by the members during a business meeting, what would that process look like and what specific motion language would be involved? I'm assuming that moving to accept the whole revision is not wise practice or the correct language.

If I understand your question, your speaking about amending Bylaws, as a general revision. Begin by looking at p. 572 592 of RONR, Amendment of Bylaws (Section 57). Also be familiar with Section 28, Consider by Seriatim (by paragraph). Also, look at the current bylaws concerning what they may require concerning amendment.

Edited: Thanks Robert

As for specific language to use in moving adoption of the revision, take a look at sample form 6 on tinted page 30 in RONR, 11th ed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.