The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper wording in minutes of a committee report

Guest Ray

In a recent meeting, a committee chairman reported to the members that a person had "...resigned with one day's notice..." in a letter. The individual referred to says he resigned but that proper and sufficent notice was given to an official other than the committee chair; in otherwords, it was more than one day.

My question is, should officially recorded meeting minutes of such a committee report in this case say only that the action of "resigning" took place and leave it at that, or is it proper to have an additional descriptive phrase?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide on this.

In a recent meeting, a committee chairman reported to the members that a person had "...resigned with one day's notice..." in a letter. The individual referred to says he resigned but that proper and sufficent notice was given to an official other than the committee chair; in otherwords, it was more than one day.

My question is, should officially recorded meeting minutes of such a committee report in this case say only that the action of "resigning" took place and leave it at that, or is it proper to have an additional descriptive phrase?

Committees generally don't take minutes, and the minutes of the parent assembly would simply note that the committee's report was received and placed on file. As for the resignation, the minutes should note that the assembly accepted the member's resignation. Notice isn't required, so there's no need to record how many days of notice the member gave.

So, if notice isnt required and (as you say) there's "no need to record how many days of notice...," is it out of order according to RONR for the person who resigned to ask that such wording be removed from the minutes since it isnt accurate?.

thanks for time in answering.

So, if notice isnt required and (as you say) there's "no need to record how many days of notice...," is it out of order according to RONR for the person who resigned to ask that such wording be removed from the minutes since it isnt accurate?.

Well, no it would not be out or order, but since he resigned, he won't be around when the minutes come up for approval, will he?

Well, no it would not be out or order, but since he resigned, he won't be around when the minutes come up for approval, will he?

Maybe. It's a little unclear what exactly the member resigned from and what body's minutes we're talking about.

Personally, I think the question is about the minutes of the society and the member resigned from a committee, but I can't say for sure.

Archived