The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes at Regular Meeting

Guest Valerie Saltsman

Guest Valerie Saltsman

Is it normal (or appropriate) for minutes to be read immediately following a meeting - basically, to re-cap what was said/voted on at the meeting?? My not-for-profit company has been doing this for years and I feel if you read the minutes after a meeting that "technically" they are approving them on-the-spot. Thoughts???

Is it normal (or appropriate) for minutes to be read immediately following a meeting - basically, to re-cap what was said/voted on at the meeting??

It is not normal procedure to read the minutes after the meeting as a recap but nothing in RONR would prohibit it being done. However, the minutes should not be reflecting what was said at the meeting but what was done.

My not-for-profit company has been doing this for years and I feel if you read the minutes after a meeting that "technically" they are approving them on-the-spot. Thoughts???

While nothing in RONR would prevent a body from rearranging its Order of Business to have the minutes of the meeting read and approved right before it adjourns such a practice should be codified as a rule somewhere so there isn't any misunderstandings. When minutes are are read and up for approval the members should be given a chance to to offer corrections before the Chair declares them approved (see RONR pp. 473-475 for the proper procedure).

Guest Valerie Saltsman

Thanks for the replies! We actually read the minutes from the last meeting at the beginning (after the meeting is called to order) and then vote on them. But...we then re-cap the minutes from the current meeting at the end (before we adjourn) to make sure everything is captured in the minutes from the current meeting - they even ask if there are changes to the minutes before adjourning!!! So that is why I said, I would think they are "technically" approved on-the-spot.

Thanks for the replies! We actually read the minutes from the last meeting at the beginning (after the meeting is called to order) and then vote on them. But...we then re-cap the minutes from the current meeting at the end (before we adjourn) to make sure everything is captured in the minutes from the current meeting - they even ask if there are changes to the minutes before adjourning!!! So that is why I said, I would think they are "technically" approved on-the-spot.

...Or the Secretary might be asking for corrections while memories are fresh so the minutes can be as accurate as possible for when they are up for approval the next meeting.

Depending on the nature and details of the organization and meetings, having "minutes" at the end of a meeting could be challenging, since minutes are prepared fro the detailed notes taken by the Secretary. It seems to me that the process of converting notes to properly prepared minutes would take a bit of time and thought - beyond what could be done on the spot.

Do you re-cap the actual minutes at the end of the meeting, or do you review the major points of the meeting to see if the person taking notes has left something out?

I will also note that minutes are meant to be a record of what was done, not what was said, so your minutes may well involve a lot more than required. However, many minutes (correctly or not) also include action items, as a reminder to people to do things - perhaps that's what's being re-capped?

Guest Valerie Saltsman

sMargaret - the actual minutes at the end of the meeting are re-capped (meaning: we have the meeting, secretary takes minutes, secretary reads minutes taken during that specific meeting at the end of the meeting and asks for any corrections/deletions, then president asks for motion to adjourn). The minutes reflect everything from what is voted on to action items for reminders to people to do things.

I myself work for a hospital and I take minutes for the Board, however the minutes I am inquiring about is for my volunteer fire department which is controlled by our Village (we have our own Board of Directors at fire dept). I was thinking that I could somehow save time by not reading minutes before the meeting ends of what was just talked about (I do not do this for my present employer at our Board meetings). I just feel it is a burden for the secretary to try and remember every single thing said/voted on and then try to read them on-the-spot back to the department asking them for corrections. I myself would feel intimidated by having to do this. That is why I wondered if there were something in Roberts Rules stating it HAD to be read back...because our fire dept President is saying there is.

Well there is nothing wrong with a informal "Okay this is what was agreed to" discussion after the meeting. At some organizations I belong to the President will send out an e-mail the next day to remind people of what they agreed to do at the meeting the night before. It isn't official, but serves as a good reminder.

Guest Valerie Saltsman

I appreciate all of the replies! Thank you, everyone.

Besides working full-time, being a full-time firefighter (on duty 24/7/365) and attending multiple trainings for my fire dept, I am trying to do what is right and follow all the rules. Sometimes this can be a daunting task! lol The only reason I am asking is because I am being slated for the secretary position next year for the fire dept and I do not want to have to re-cap the meeting in under 2 minutes...I would just not feel comfortable with that!! So...I am trying to change the way things are done now before I accept the secretary position for fire dept. :D

I appreciate all of the replies! Thank you, everyone...

I am trying to do what is right and follow all the rules. Sometimes this can be a daunting task!

It should rarely, if ever, be a daunting or difficult task, if done right -- which usually boils down to being sure to leave out all the chaff that shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Please read every single thing RONR says about minutes, right away. It should take maybe ten minutes, the first time. Since Ms (or Mr) Saltsman is so far at least one secretary, and maybe soon two, Ms (or Mr) Saltsman should read the material more thoroughly, and more than once, to be comfortably and competently familiar with what she (or he) needs to know how to do handily.

I just feel it is a burden for the secretary to try and remember every single thing said/voted on and then try to read them on-the-spot back ... (Post 8)

I don't follow. If the secretary is going to do this, then how does any remembering come in? All she (or he) needs to do, if I understand correctly, is to skim over the notes she (or he) wrote during the past hour or two and read out the high points. It seems to me it should be stress-free, and if it isn't, then the secretary (or he -- never mind) just shouldn't put up with it.

lol The only reason I am asking is because I am being slated for the secretary position next year for the fire dept and I do not want to have to re-cap the meeting in under 2 minutes...I would just not feel comfortable with that!! So...I am trying to change the way things are done now before I accept the secretary position for fire dept. :D

And note:

So that is why I said, I would think they are "technically" approved on-the-spot.

-- the minutes are not being "technically" approved then. They are being informally approved then. They are being technically approved at the next meeting, by being formally approved. Don't let anybody gull you.

Archived