The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call Speical Meeting

disneygoof

Our by-laws state that if we are to exceed $500 in expense we need to 1) have a meeting to review the expense, 2) pass the info to ALL members for review, 3) disuss in 2nd meeting and if motion made, vote.

My question: the time for whih the dollars is need does not allow for 2 regular meetings to occur. Would it be correct to have a speical meeting called, present the info to those that show, provide all memebers the info via our standard means, then at our next regular meeting discuss and vote? I believe this is permited in RR. I can find anything specific in my book.

Thanks,

David (disneygoof)

The first question is whether your bylaws specifically provides for the calling of Special Meetings? If they don't you can't hold them (RONR pp. 91-93). Also, you would need to look to the exact language in the bylaws regarding the procedures for approving expenses over $500 (what you gave us is a paraphrase) and if they define what constitutes a meeting.

Although many organizations equate a meeting (RONR pp. 81-82) with a session (RONR p. 82) there is a difference under RONR. Although this would require interpreting the bylaws and looking at the intent of the framers of the body that adopted that provision it could be argued that the bylaws requiring two *meetings* could mean that a meeting could be held and review the expense and then set up an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 93-94) [being sure to leave enough time for the information to be passed onto all of the members] where it would be discussed and voted on.

. . . it could be argued that the bylaws requiring two *meetings* could mean that a meeting could be held and review the expense and then set up an Adjourned Meeting (RONR pp. 93-94) [being sure to leave enough time for the information to be passed onto all of the members] where it would be discussed and voted on.

I'm not sure what it means to put a word in asterisks but I'll take it to mean that Mr. Harrison thinks this is not a very plausible argument.

As stated on its Introductory Page, “The Question and Answer Forum is provided to allow an open exchange of views relevant to specific questions of parliamentary procedure under Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised”, and it is also noted there that “the Robert's Rules Association and the authorship team reserve the right to remove any postings deemed by them to be sufficiently irrelevant, erroneous or misleading to warrant such action.”

This question is not one concerning what is or is not proper parliamentary procedure under the rules in RONR, but rather it is one concerning what is or is not proper procedure under a particular organization’s bylaws. To permit extensive discussion of this question here in this forum will not only tend to be unproductive (since responders, most likely, will not have sufficient information to provide a meaningful response), but will also tend to mislead our readers, who may think that what is being discussed is proper procedure under the rules in RONR.

As a consequence, we respectfully request that those interested in pursuing this question do so by private e-mail, or other means outside of this forum.

Archived