The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Which Edition? 10th or 11th

Watson

The bylaws read: "The presiding officer shall . . . conduct the proceedings of the meeting in accordance with the parliamentary rules contained in Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, unless otherwise provided by statute or by the rules in this chapter." Recently, after researching a topic, I quoted RONR (11th ed.). Immediately another member stated that this was incorrect and that I must reference the 10th Edition because that was the edition in use when the bylaws were written and approved. Not wishing to be confrontational, is there an Official Interpretation to which I may refer in response? Thank you, RTW

"This Eleventh Edition supersedes all previous editions and is intended automatically to become the parliamentary authority in organizations whose bylaws prescribe "Robert's Rules of Order," "Robert's Rules of Order Revised," "Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised," or "the current edition of" any of these titles, or the like, without specifying a particular edition. If the bylaws specifically identify one of the ten previous editions of the work as parliamentary authority, the bylaws should be amended to prescribe "the current edition of ‘Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised'" (see p. 588)."

The bylaws read: "The presiding officer shall . . . conduct the proceedings of the meeting in accordance with the parliamentary rules contained in Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, unless otherwise provided by statute or by the rules in this chapter." Recently, after researching a topic, I quoted RONR (11th ed.). Immediately another member stated that this was incorrect and that I must reference the 10th Edition because that was the edition in use when the bylaws were written and approved. Not wishing to be confrontational, is there an Official Interpretation to which I may refer in response?

This is actually addressed in the book. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. vii.

Well, there is a (slightly self-serving) note on p. vii (unnumbered) that likes to claim that it, the 11th Ed., "supersedes all previous editions".

Except for the self-referential logic problems, ("I'm official because I say I am.") this is probably as good as you are going to get.

The 10th edition has the exact same note, however (referring to the 10th as superseding previous editions), so that may lend validity to the 11th edition's note in this case.

Well, there is a (slightly self-serving) note on p. vii (unnumbered) that likes to claim that it, the 11th Ed., "supersedes all previous editions".

Except for the self-referential logic problems, ("I'm official because I say I am.") this is probably as good as you are going to get.

It seems more helpful than self-serving, John.

Archived