The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Officers Voting - Time Sensitive Help

Guest Shannon Harmeling

Guest Shannon Harmeling

I am the President of Lake Ridge Civic Association in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. This is my second year and I still consider myself as a rookie. I was advised by my other EB Officers who seem to know Robert's Rules that we could make this decidion. The EB has a right to meet, and make decisions if necessary without the full Board. I just want to know if that is correct:

Main Question:

My Executive Board (Pres/VP/Sec/Tres.) met last Saturday minus one member due to illness. We had a Quorum of the Officers. We, the EB, voted to redesign our web site, to incur a cost of $20 per month and a one time $10 fee. The web site will be user friendly and professional and we get free tech support. It launches April 1. Was it OK of the Executive Board to vote and spend the money without the other board members?

This sounds like what RONR would call an Executive Committee, or a subset of the Board members. For it to be an official body, the bylaws must provide for it, or you can't act as an Executive Committee at all. That said, if it is properly constituted, the bylaws should state how much power it has, and RONR notes that no action of the Executive Committee can alter any past decision made by the Board. So we really cannot say whether or not your "EB" acted properly, but a review of your bylaws (by you) should help answer your question.

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 485 for more details.

Archived