The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Break a passed vote?

Guest Lydia

Is there any way to break a vote that passed? We had a slated officer election and no one realized what they voted on until after it passed and we do not want certain officers in their positions. It was unclear what we were voting on. Please help

Next time pay more attention.

Are there any specifics that might support the idea that the vote was invalid? Was any required proper notice followed? Was there a quorum at the meeting? Did any non-members vote?

If it's just a case that people got caught snoozing, well, you know what happens when ya snooze.

I have seen here on previous occasions complaints that members did not understand motions they were voting on, but this is the first time I've heard that members didn't understand they were voting to elect officers (which I assume is something that occurs at prescribed intervals in your organization). In keeping with Gary's question, can you tell us how this election managed to be disguised to the extent that members didn't know what was happening?

Well it's a college organization so they probably weren't even paying attention. Not all members were present but everyone who was there participated in the vote and no non members voted. Actually not even all the officers were present. But because it was a slate they wrote the officers and their positions on the white board am proceeded to vote. There was no time for discussion before someone moved to approve it.

Do your bylaws call for nominations from the floor?

If so, and if this wasn't done, then sounds like a continuing breach order, and make a point of order at the next meeting.

I will note that even in college organizations, paying attention in meetings is a Good Thing, as is educating oneself on knowing what the rules are.

Is there any way to break a vote that passed? We had a slated officer election and no one realized what they voted on until after it passed and we do not want certain officers in their positions. It was unclear what we were voting on. Please help

Well, you can't declare a vote invalid on the basis of "we weren't paying attention." It might be possible to declare the election invalid for some other reason, depending on the specifics.

If the vote was valid, see FAQ #20.

Well it's a college organization so they probably weren't even paying attention. Not all members were present but everyone who was there participated in the vote and no non members voted. Actually not even all the officers were present. But because it was a slate they wrote the officers and their positions on the white board am proceeded to vote. There was no time for discussion before someone moved to approve it.

A motion "to approve the slate" is highly improper, and members have the right to vote for each position. Additionally, nominations are debatable.

None of it seems to constitute a continuing breach, however, unless perhaps your Bylaws require a ballot vote.

Do your bylaws call for nominations from the floor?

If so, and if this wasn't done, then sounds like a continuing breach order, and make a point of order at the next meeting.

I disagree that failing to call for nominations from the floor would constitute a continuing breach.

I disagree that failing to call for nominations from the floor would constitute a continuing breach.

My understanding is that a violating a rule protecting the basic right of a member would characterize a continuing breach. If the nominations presented were that of a slate, presumably picked by either a nominating committee or the previous board, then wouldn't it violate the right of someone to run for office? (I'd also be curious to know if the bylaws call for a ballot vote). Genuinely curious.

My understanding is that a violating a rule protecting the basic right of a member would characterize a continuing breach. If the nominations presented were that of a slate, presumably picked by either a nominating committee or the previous board, then wouldn't it violate the right of someone to run for office? (I'd also be curious to know if the bylaws call for a ballot vote). Genuinely curious.

I don't think there is a basic right to be nominated.

I don't think there is a basic right to be nominated.

I agree with George. If the chair didn't call for nominations, and no one raised a point of order, I don't believe it's a continuing breach. However, if the bylaws prescribe for a ballot vote and make no provision for suspending that rule........

Archived