The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can notice of a (regular) meeting be given before the meeting is set?

Suppose that the Vulcan Garden Gnomes Society normally schedules its regular meetings by resolution. At a meeting, however, they forgot to schedule their next meeting, and there was no other provision to hold a subsequent meeting. The bylaws require two weeks' notice of all regular meetings.

This rather unfortunate circumstance does not doom the Society, however, as they have a provision for special meetings to be called by the President. Two weeks in advance, the President calls the special meeting, with the only item of business to be to set a regular meeting for the same day immediately following the special meeting; the Secretary issues notice for both the special meeting and the regular meeting.

Has notice been duly given for the regular meeting, assuming that the special meeting adopts the motion to set it?

Can notice of a (regular) meeting be given before the meeting is set?

Suppose that the Vulcan Garden Gnomes Society normally schedules its regular meetings by resolution. At a meeting, however, they forgot to schedule their next meeting, and there was no other provision to hold a subsequent meeting. The bylaws require two weeks' notice of all regular meetings.

This rather unfortunate circumstance does not doom the Society, however, as they have a provision for special meetings to be called by the President. Two weeks in advance, the President calls the special meeting, with the only item of business to be to set a regular meeting for the same day immediately following the special meeting; the Secretary issues notice for both the special meeting and the regular meeting.

Has notice been duly given for the regular meeting, assuming that the special meeting adopts the motion to set it?

I think the wisest course of action in such an unfortunate case would be to call a special meeting, schedule a regular meeting at least two weeks later, and then send notice. Even if in order (and I am skeptical that it would be), sending out a notice which might not be accurate seems highly inadvisable.

Based on my personal experience, I concur with J. J. that most societies which schedule their meetings by resolution schedule several at a time.

Edited by Josh Martin

I think the wisest course of action in such an unfortunate case would be to call a special meeting, schedule a regular meeting at least two weeks later, and then send notice. Even if in order (and I am skeptical that it would be), sending out a notice which might not be accurate seems highly inadvisable.

Based on my personal experience, I concur with J. J. that most societies which schedule their meetings by resolution schedule several at a time.

I see no reason why it would be either out of order or inadvisable. I rather like the idea. :)

Provided the bylaws authorize the calling of special meetings,

Sean is far too creative to leave something like that out.

This rather unfortunate circumstance does not doom the Society, however, as they have a provision for special meetings to be called by the President.

But has notice for the regular meeting actually been given, or is the notice only of a motion (to hold a regular meeting) to be made at the Special Meeting? If, and once, that motion is adopted, isn't an additional two weeks notice of the regular meeting required, just as if they'd adopted such a motion at the previous meeting instead of at a Special Meeting?

Edited by David A Foulkes

But has notice for the regular meeting actually been given, or is the notice only of a motion (to hold a regular meeting) to be made at the Special Meeting? If, and once, that motion is adopted, isn't an additional two weeks notice of the regular meeting required, just as if they'd adopted such a motion at the previous meeting instead of at a Special Meeting?

the Secretary issues notice for both the special meeting and the regular meeting.

At the same time, if I understand Sean's facts correctly.

Edited by George Mervosh

How can she issue notice for a meeting that isn't yet scheduled?

Well that's Sean's question, can she? The adoption of the motion at the special meeting scheduling the regular meeting in accordance with the notice sent, will instanly make the notice sent two weeks ago valid.

Edited by George Mervosh

The bylaws require two weeks notice of all regular meetings. If the assembly adopts a motion at a regular meeting to schedule their next regular meeting, they can't schedule for any less than two weeks in advance. Why can they adopt a motion at a Special Meeting to schedule a regular meeting immediately following? Until that motion is adopted, there is no regular meeting scheduled, and nothing of which to give notice. Yet.

The bylaws require two weeks notice of all regular meetings. If the assembly adopts a motion at a regular meeting to schedule their next regular meeting, they can't schedule for any less than two weeks in advance. Why can they adopt a motion at a Special Meeting to schedule a regular meeting immediately following? Until that motion is adopted, there is no regular meeting scheduled, and nothing of which to give notice. Yet.

The fact is that two weeks notice was given.

Then they all go home, but my guess is that all of those who show up do so because they want to have a regular meeting.

I agree that it's unlikely that the members at the special meeting will decide not to have a regular meeting at all, but they might decide to hold the meeting at a different time and/or place than what has been specified in the call. While I agree that in such a case, the members who attend the regular meeting the following day (who presumably were not at the special meeting and are unaware of the change) will have to all go home, this doesn't seem like a desirable outcome. Thus, the practice seems inadvisable, at best.

Edited by Josh Martin

I agree that it's unlikely that the members at the special meeting will decide not to have a regular meeting at all, but they might decide to hold the meeting at a different time and/or place than what has been specified in the call. While I agree that in such a case, the members who attend the regular meeting the following day (who presumably were not at the special meeting and are unaware of the change) will have to all go home, this doesn't seem like a desirable outcome. Thus, the practice seems inadvisable, at best.

What's this about? The facts as stated refer to "a regular meeting for the same day immediately following the special meeting".

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.