The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspension of Vice-President

Guest Craig Lucas

Guest Craig Lucas

As President I plan on bring ethics charges against the First Vice-President because of his behavior at our last Executive Board meeting. As President do I have the authority to suspend him from the Board until the ethics violations are resolved.

As President I plan on bring ethics charges against the First Vice-President because of his behavior at our last Executive Board meeting. As President do I have the authority to suspend him from the Board until the ethics violations are resolved.

There is certainly nothing in Robert's Rules of Order that gives you any such authority.

No. Your Board may, but you'll have to consult your bylaws to see. If they do not provide that authority, and the Board is subordinate to the membership (as is usually the case, but sometimes not, especially in corporations), then only a meeting of the full membership has the authority to do so, and (if your organization has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority) only in accordance with Chapter XX of RONR.

See also FAQ 20.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.