The Official RONR Q & A Forums

conflict of interest

Guest Bob Burrows

I have posted questions to this forum in the past and have real positive answers regarding the American Legion. Since we are a 501c3 entity. is it a conflict of interest if the husband is the Commander and his wife is the adjudent of the Legion Post. I would guess that since both have signing authority on the checks and other legal instruments that it might cause some questions from the members.

I have posted questions to this forum in the past and have real positive answers regarding the American Legion. Since we are a 501c3 entity. is it a conflict of interest if the husband is the Commander and his wife is the adjudent of the Legion Post. I would guess that since both have signing authority on the checks and other legal instruments that it might cause some questions from the members.

If the answer to your question depends upon the fact that you are a "501c3 entity", you are posting your question in the wrong forum.

No rule in RONR prohibits a husband from being the Commander and his wife the Adjutant of a Legion Post.

I would guess that since both have signing authority on the checks and other legal instruments that it might cause some questions from the members.

I would think that's a pretty good guess. But, presumably, that married couple was elected to those positions so, apparently, a majority of the voters had no problem with the arrangement.

RONR does not prohibit conflicts of interest, but leaves that up to each association's bylaws and other applicable laws to do. In other words, this forum cannot help you on that, other than to note that if your association wishes to prohibit spouses from having signing authority, or prohibit spouses from office, your association may take steps to put that into place. Not us. You.

As a side note, why on earth are so many questions coming from organizations that say they are 501c3 recently?

Archived