The Official RONR Q & A Forums

discipline

Guest Carolyn

After a nasty ordeal, three members of the board resigned. The Pres is in the wrong and has decided to show his true colors--he banged his gavel (he has not done that in three years) when I whispered hello to the person who arrived late and sat right next to me--he called me out of order. I said I was not and he said, yes you are. Speak again and I will censure you and throw you out, he said. Later in the meeting, someone reminded to pres to treat everyone with respect. Everyone spoke to me after the meeting about it, but no one said anything then. How should this have been handled. I was unprepared for such behavior.

If you stayed calm in that storm, you handled it very well.

It might have been better if one of your friends had appealed the president's ruling that you were out of order in the meeting at the time, but at least they were sympathetic after the fact (when it was safe!).

RONR can be viewed as a book of etiquette, for people to use to see how to behave, but only if they WANT to behave. If they don't want to behave, the book isn't going to help (with the possible exception of Chapter XX).

Next meeting be sure to accept the resignations (by vote) of those who said that they quit; p. 289 ff.

Archived