The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New members of a board

Guest Gary J

Our BOD of 7 have an election every year. 4 members on even years and 3 on odd. The new members take office in a March meeting. Formal swearing in is at a banquet dinner. When do the new members take office and the old members leave office? Found this once but not again. Does old business become new business and the new electees start with new business? What voting rights to the members that are leaving have, if any and when do they end? Thanks, Gary

In the order of your questions:

As soon as they are elected -- presuming your bylaws do not require an oath or specify some later time.

Yes, I think. Check the (incorrect) use of "old business' -- see p. 358 for "Unfinished Business".

Voting rights end when the ("old") members leave office and are replaced by the newbies.

In the order of your questions:

As soon as they are elected -- presuming your bylaws do not require an oath or specify some later time.

Yes, I think. Check the (incorrect) use of "old business' -- see p. 358 for "Unfinished Business".

Voting rights end when the ("old") members leave office and are replaced by the newbies.

I agree. To elaborate, is the taking office at the March meeting specified in your bylaws? If not, then they take office when elected. Also, if officers must be board members, then when an officer ceases to be a board member, that person is no longer an officer.

Archived