The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting /quorum

Guest Chris

The Board has 7 members. Majority vote wins. Quorum is 4 members. My question is if only 4 members show to a meeting and a vote is called for, must it then be passed by all 4 members or a majority of the quorum and only 3 votes would carry it?

• 1 month later...

What if this board of 7 has 2 vacancies, leaving 5 to run the organization.  Is a quorum then 3? or does it remain at 4?

It depends on whether your bylaws say "a quorum is 4 members" or "a quorum is a majority of members."

If the bylaws say, "4 members", then your quorum is 4 members. (Even if your board one day has four vacancies, leaving you with only 3 board members...making it a real challenge to meet and/or conduct any business...)

Of course, some bylaws may have requirements for some particular votes that call for a majority (or some other #) of members, or possibly members present, and not just the default requirement of members present and voting. Read your bylaws carefully.

Which has nothing to do with quorum, but hey.

Which has nothing to do with quorum, but hey.

Well, no, but the OP was about the voting thresholds as a result of the quorum.

Apologize for my ignorance...but how is one vote a majority of four members?  I may be missing something...but wouldn't it be three votes (more than two)?

If there is a not a specific bylaw requirement for a different voting threshold, then what you need is a vote of members both present and voting.

If only one member votes, then that's the majority right there, no matter how many people are present.

If you have a requirement to have a majority of members present, then yes, you would need a majority of the 4 members present.

Well, no, but the OP was about the voting thresholds as a result of the quorum.

If there is a not a specific bylaw requirement for a different voting threshold, then what you need is a vote of members both present and voting.

If only one member votes, then that's the majority right there, no matter how many people are present.

If you have a requirement to have a majority of members present, then yes, you would need a majority of the 4 members present.

Aww...thank you...that is the part I was missing (the votes "cast" part).  I was working under the assumption that the original question involved all four members voting.

Aww...thank you...that is the part I was missing (the votes "cast" part).  I was working under the assumption that the original question involved all four members voting.

Well, the original question did.  The recent question did not,  That is the principal reason that we ask people to ask new questions by starting a new thread, so that there are not two different questions with two different series of answers woven together.

Like this one.

Well, the original question did.  The recent question did not,

Neither question involved "all four members voting," as the original question did not specify how many members were voting.

Are you trying to point out that the original question involved voting, while the recent question did not?

Neither question involved "all four members voting," as the original question did not specify how many members were voting.

Are you trying to point out that the original question involved voting, while the recent question did not?

Yes, the recent "side-jacking" of the thread was only about quorum--which then reopened questions about voting, and it's....  well, it's over, I guess.

Archived