The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Run off election

Guest Karen

There have been repeat elections for the office of president and none of the candidates are able to gain enough votes to win. We have even run different sets of candidates. What is the best way to resolve this election for office? If we do not get this done before the current officer's term ends, then are we forced to keep the current officer or can we just keep trying to elect a new president?

You may, if your bylaws allow it, retain the current officer for as long as it takes you to elect a new president, but in any case you must also keep trying to elect a new president.

I'm not sure what you mean by "different sets" of candidates, because candidates aren't usually grouped in "sets", but you seem to be on the right track.

An officer may serve thru their term or until another officer is elected. However, instead of using a single ballot for voting on all of the offices, the group is conducting separate elections for each office and cannot get past the first election for the President. If no President is elected, then does the current President have the authority to appoint their choice people to all of the other offices? I thought it best to abandon the one office at a time elections and go with a single ballot vote for all offices. At least that way some officers may get elected by the choice of the members.

What is the best way to resolve this election for office?

Keep voting.

If we do not get this done before the current officer's term ends, then are we forced to keep the current officer or can we just keep trying to elect a new president?

If the Bylaws provide that officers serve "until their successors are elected," then the current President will keep serving for now. If not, you won't have a President for a while. In either event, you should continue trying to elect a new President.

If no President is elected, then does the current President have the authority to appoint their choice people to all of the other offices?

No, unless the Bylaws so provide.

I thought it best to abandon the one office at a time elections and go with a single ballot vote for all offices. At least that way some officers may get elected by the choice of the members.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Archived