The Official RONR Q & A Forums

does current board have to do any thing with motions passed by previous board that were not completed or acted upon.

Harry

Well complete or act upon the motions if the new Board is in favour of them. Otherwise the Board could rescind motions that have not been acted upon and perhaps stop the completion of motions which have been partly implemented.

Perhaps, but remember that if by "current board" and "previous board" the OP means a board whose membership has changed in whole or in part, any unfinished business has fallen to the ground, and will need to be renewed (p. 488-489).

Perhaps, but remember that if by "current board" and "previous board" the OP means a board whose membership has changed in whole or in part, any unfinished business has fallen to the ground, and will need to be renewed (p. 488-489).

While true, I don't see how that's applicable here. The question is about a motion which was adopted but has not yet been acted upon.

Josh, how can you be sure what OP Harry meant by "completed" before the Cylons cut his transmission?

Well, based on past experience, I don't know if I can ever be sure what the original posters mean.

But I think that in the context of the original poster's question: "Does current board have to do any thing with motions passed by previous board that were not completed or acted upon," when the OP says the motion has not been "completed" it means that the motion has been adopted, but the task ordered by the motion has not yet been fully executed. This mostly hinges on my interpretation that the word "passed" means "adopted" in this context.

But I think I see where you and Mr. Lages are going with this. If the original poster instead meant that the board had "passed over" the motions and has not yet disposed of them, then the "falls to the ground" rule is applicable.

Well, based on past experience, I don't know if I can ever be sure what the original posters mean.

But I think that in the context of the original poster's question: "Does current board have to do any thing with motions passed by previous board that were not completed or acted upon," when the OP says the motion has not been "completed" it means that the motion has been adopted, but the task ordered by the motion has not yet been fully executed. This mostly hinges on my interpretation that the word "passed" means "adopted" in this context.

But I think I see where you and Mr. Lages are going with this. If the original poster instead meant that the board had "passed over" the motions and has not yet disposed of them, then the "falls to the ground" rule is applicable.

That was my basis of thinking - and it would be nice if the orignal poster would clarify the issue. I believe the question is basically as follows:

At the March Board meeting, the Board passes a motion to take a certain action. Two weeks later, at the AGM, new Board members are elected, with a majority of members now being elected for the first time. Can the Board, at its meeting in April, now have to follow through with the motion passed in March.

I would assume, that depending on the nature of the motion, the Board could amend or rescind something previously adopted. it at the April meeting. For example, if the motion was to donate $100 per month to a specific charity, the Board could amend the motion to change the amount, the frequency of the donation (i.e. from monthly to yearly), or change the charity. The Board could also rescind the motion to stop future payments. However, if the motion was to accept a contractor to repair the roof and work has already been completed, then it would not be possible to change the motion.

• 2 months later...

I apologize for jumping in here, but I am in a situation very similiar where the disposal of funds was voted on by the board and membership with a provision that it would be reviewed by the committee that selects recipients if a signifigantly larger fund of money occurred.  The question is, with a change in member year and board members, can the old previous board be called back to finish the business of changing the disposal of funds after the new board is in place?  My thought is this board no longer exist and can not be recalled and the manner stands at the disposal percentages in past at the time the session ended and new board took office.  Is this correct?

I apologize for jumping in here, but I am in a situation very similiar where the disposal of funds was voted on by the board and membership with a provision that it would be reviewed by the committee that selects recipients if a signifigantly larger fund of money occurred.  The question is, with a change in member year and board members, can the old previous board be called back to finish the business of changing the disposal of funds after the new board is in place?  My thought is this board no longer exist and can not be recalled and the manner stands at the disposal percentages in past at the time the session ended and new board took office.  Is this correct?

You are correct that the old board no longer exists and cannot be called back to do anything. This doesn't necessarily mean, however, that the percentages stand as they were at the time the session ended. If the motion called for the disposal of funds to be reviewed, that review can and should still be completed - but it will be the new board's problem.

For future reference, it's best on this forum to ask a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic seems similar.

And if this 'disposal' of funds was indeed voted on by the board and by the membership, any revisions to the amounts given away may very well have to go back for approval by the membership, unless your rules or the motion authorizing release of these funds allows for further action to be taken by the board alone. In general, the board cannot modify a decision made by the membership - only the membership can do that.

Archived