The Official RONR Q & A Forums

I have a question. If RONR recognizes that if Minutes are distributed prior to the Meeting, then why is it that RONR still allows to request that the Minutes be read?

If members have a copy of the Minutes and have had a chance to read them before coming to the meeting, it seems to me that it is dilatory to allow a member to request that the Minutes be read. Unless, of course, the member is illiterate - which is unlikely in this day and age.

The Post Office has been known to lose pieces of mail or deliver them late. Also, the member's email address could be on the fritz or the address could have been changed and the organization's records weren't updated to reflect this. Basically, I think that rule in in place so if the member doesn't receive a copy in time he still has the opportunity to have them read at the meeting. It also wouldn't surprise me if the Authorship Team are still purists at heart :) and wish to allow the members to observe the old forms if they want.

I think another possibility is that since the minutes are still in draft status, even though they have been circulated, they are still in the secretary's domain. I don't see anything that would prevent any member from contacting the secretary to suggest a correction (e.g., our usual example of a member absent from the last meeting informing the secretary that he did not offer a motion at that meeting). Thus, it's possible that when the minutes come up for approval at the next meeting, they may not be exactly the same as the circulated copy. (And certainly at the meeting the secretary should inform the membership if any changes have been made subsequent to circulation.)

If RONR recognizes that if Minutes are distributed prior to the Meeting, then why is it that RONR still allows to request that the Minutes be read?

I concur with the previous responses, and I would note that as a general rule, a member may request that any document be read if it is before the assembly for approval. Lengthy motions (especially rules) are often distributed in writing, but members may nonetheless request that they be read. This is to make sure that all members are clear on the pending question. This is simply a particular application of that rule.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this