The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Chair make a Motion

willie

We have a small board - most days we are lucky to get quorum. But, I suspect our July meeting will have lots of members popping out of the wood work. As Chair, I may want to motion to set limits on debates and such so we can get out of the meeting before dawn. No one pays attention to our by-laws and RONR - just one sticky fingered member looking to be treasurer seems to read them and since she was observed doing a misdeed the whole membership is in an uproar. I just want to get my P &Qs in order.

As Chair, and especially since the meeting won't be until July, please recognize that you need to be at least slightly acquainted with RONR (own your own copy of the 11th Ed, if at all possible), and you must, must, must get a copy of RONR - In Brief, and read it at once, and come back and ask some more questions. No better way to get your P's & Q's in order.

And here's how to get the "In Brief" book, AKA  RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link.

I actually have it "in brief" - I have read it and I have asked questions as a result of having read it to make sure I fully understand. I also have read the "for dummies" version - have done online research...at times, the procedures can get overwhelming.

I have seen lots of reference to the full version - so I am off today to get the full version.

You are correct our bylaws do reference RONR and I will of course bring it - NOT the dummies book - that was just helpful to dumb it down for us lay-people that think we are doing a good thing by volunteering then suddenly realize that if you don't have your act together, a whole meeting can go to hell in a hand basket very quickly. :(

We have a small board - most days we are lucky to get quorum. But, I suspect our July meeting will have lots of members popping out of the wood work. As Chair, I may want to motion to set limits on debates and such so we can get out of the meeting before dawn. No one pays attention to our by-laws and RONR - just one sticky fingered member looking to be treasurer seems to read them and since she was observed doing a misdeed the whole membership is in an uproar. I just want to get my P &Qs in order.

If you use the small board rules, then yes, the chair should feel free to make a motion to limit debate. Since it looks like your goal is to limit debate for the duration of the meeting (rather than for a pending motion or series of pending motions), you'll be using an incidental main motion to Limit Debate. Such a motion is debatable and amendable and requires a 2/3 vote for adoption.

If you're not using the small board rules, someone else should make the motion. Of course, if you're not using the small board rules, members are already limited to speaking twice per motion, for up to ten minutes each time. In a small board, members may speak any number of times unless a motion to limit debate has been adopted.

We have a small board - most days we are lucky to get quorum. But, I suspect our July meeting will have lots of members popping out of the wood work.

Hmmm. Let's assume you have a 12-member board and, on a good day, seven members show up, just enough to make a (default) quorum. The leaves only five members to comprise those "lots of members popping out of the wood work". Unless you're referring to "lots" of general members, not board members. And, if that's the case, those who are not board members will have no right to attend, let alone speak, at the board meeting.

Our members - general - have right to vote and to make motions. Crazy, I know.

Well, it's not crazy in a general membership meeting. It is crazy in a board meeting. It would defeat the point of having a board.

Are you sure this is a board meeting, and if so, are you sure that your Bylaws authorize members of the general membership to vote at board meetings?

Our members - general - have right to vote and to make motions. Crazy, I know.

No, it's not crazy at all, but if they have that right, then what you have going on is a general membership meeting, not a board meeting.  You need to figure out what's going on before we can make sense of it.

"Facts are stupid things" --Ronald Reagan

Archived