The Official RONR Q & A Forums

size limit for Quorum & adopting agenda

Guest Robin

Is there such a thing of too small a group to have a quorum?  I was conducting a meeting and the principal stated that since we didn't have a paper agenda (which we didn't) we had motions, and people were starting to discuss things into great depth, in an effort to trying to steer the meeting to a timely manner I mentioned that we needed to do RONR, which the principal stated with no agenda, it really didn't matter, plus we didn't have a big enough group to make motions anyways.  Our bylaws do not state a number, except by quorum...we have 6 people on our committee of officers, and all were present.

I was conducting a meeting and the principal stated that since we didn't have a paper agenda (which we didn't) we had motions, and people were starting to discuss things into great depth, in an effort to trying to steer the meeting to a timely manner I mentioned that we needed to do RONR, which the principal stated with no agenda, it really didn't matter, plus we didn't have a big enough group to make motions anyways.

Proper procedure should be followed regardless of whether there is an agenda. It is correct that the rules are more relaxed for small boards (see pgs. 487-488), and that it is permitted to discuss a topic when no motion is pending, but this doesn't mean that members can't make motions.

Is there such a thing of too small a group to have a quorum?  I was conducting a meeting and the principal stated that since we didn't have a paper agenda (which we didn't) we had motions, and people were starting to discuss things into great depth, in an effort to trying to steer the meeting to a timely manner I mentioned that we needed to do RONR, which the principal stated with no agenda, it really didn't matter, plus we didn't have a big enough group to make motions anyways.  Our bylaws do not state a number, except by quorum...we have 6 people on our committee of officers, and all were present.

First thing you need to do is get a hold of this book, and read it: http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

Next thing, what sort of meeting were you having? Was it a meeting of the executive committee, or a general meeting that only executive members showed up at? ;) I'm thinking it was general, as the principal was there.

Last thing, I'm assuming you're a school PAC or PTO or PTA or something. A really important point is that the principal doesn't run these meetings - they're run by the parents. The principal can be a terrific source of information and assistance, but they need to be thumped down a bit when they try to tell people how to run things.

Archived