The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Guest

Please share thoughts/recommendations regarding the release of unapproved board meeting minutes of a governmental entity Board Meeting. Our Board prefers to not distribute the minutes until the minutes are approved at the monthly board meeting.  We have received numerous requests from a citizen to receive a copy of the unapproved board meeting minutes. Thanks!

Please share thoughts/recommendations regarding the release of unapproved board meeting minutes of a governmental entity Board Meeting. Our Board prefers to not distribute the minutes until the minutes are approved at the monthly board meeting.  We have received numerous requests from a citizen to receive a copy of the unapproved board meeting minutes.

So far as RONR is concerned, it would be at the board's discretion whether to release draft minutes (or the actual minutes, for that matter). Since this is a governmental entity, it would be wise to look into whether applicable law says something on the subject.

Please share thoughts/recommendations regarding the release of unapproved board meeting minutes of a governmental entity Board Meeting. Our Board prefers to not distribute the minutes until the minutes are approved at the monthly board meeting.  We have received numerous requests from a citizen to receive a copy of the unapproved board meeting minutes. Thanks!

Though not in RONR, I suggest that circulated draft minutes be marked "unofficial," to clearly show that they are not approved. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sara Jane Boscoe

On this note, draft minutes per RONR can be corrected or amended before the final. Our chairman says otherwise, and wants a motion made at the next general meeting. The chairman has proclaimed that when the Approval of the Minutes time comes up on the Agenda he wants then for a motion to amend.  There is a section of the draft minutes that the chairman refers to a certain VC of a standing committee not getting items onto media outlets in a timely manner. The VC tries to make a motion to go into executive session, of which not one board member understood what that meant. The motion died. The chairman continues to verbalize, and in the drafted minutes, his disappointments and naming names. The chairman removes the webmaster and duties of the VC the responsibilities.

The VC is trying to have the drafted minutes re-worded or this part removed and tabled but the Chairman won't allow it.

The Secretary should be noting in meetings what was "done" and not "said" is my understanding. HELP!

The VC is trying to have the drafted minutes re-worded or this part removed and tabled but the Chairman won't allow it.

What finally ends up in the approved minutes isn't up to any one member. Not even the chairman. The assembly will decide what the minutes will contain. The chairman has only one vote. And no "veto" power.

For future reference, please post your new question as a new topic (even if you find an existing topic that's similar).

Guest Sara Jane Boscoe

Thank you Edgar. Can you explain to me why "Draft" minutes are sent out? Would not "draft" minutes reflecting corrections be re-sent out as "final draft' implemented by the Secretary?

I will in the future start a new topic, thank you for the information on protocol on this site.

Thank you Edgar. Can you explain to me why "Draft" minutes are sent out? Would not "draft" minutes reflecting corrections be re-sent out as "final draft' implemented by the Secretary?

I will in the future start a new topic, thank you for the information on protocol on this site.

It is not required to send out draft minutes to the members, but they are sent out so the assembly can skip the step of reading the minutes at the meeting, since it is presumed that the members have read the draft that was sent to them. If the Secretary chooses to make any changes to her draft before the meeting (which she can do), then the new draft should indeed be sent out. Further corrections are in order at the meeting, and as noted, majority rules if there is a disagreement.

Archived