The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unanimous votes

Guest Tracy

An agenda for a board meeting is distributed 48 hours in advance of a meeting. A member of the board doesn't attend the meeting. At the meeting, an agenda item is discussed and voted upon. All members present vote in favor of the motion. When the vote is reported out as unanimous in the meeting minutes, the member who was absent claims that the vote was not unanimous because they were not present to vote. Help me explain why they are wrong.

An agenda for a board meeting is distributed 48 hours in advance of a meeting. A member of the board doesn't attend the meeting. At the meeting, an agenda item is discussed and voted upon. All members present vote in favor of the motion. When the vote is reported out as unanimous in the meeting minutes, the member who was absent claims that the vote was not unanimous because they were not present to vote. Help me explain why they are wrong.

A vote of, for instance, 6-0 is unanimous, notwithstanding that some members may not have voted or may not have been present.

The fact that a vote is unanimous, however, is of absolutely no consequence. It's not worth arguing about or noting it in the minutes. There's no difference between a motion which was adopted by a vote of 6-0 and a motion which was adopted by a vote of 6-5. The minutes should simply note that the motion was adopted.

Well, he's not completely wrong.

He's wrong that the vote was not unanimous, when in fact it was.  The fact that everyone (who voted) voted in the same way makes it unanimous.

But he's right that that fact doesn't belong in the minutes.

Archived