The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What goes on a ballot?

Guest DMVLady

Is there a specifc reference in RONR 11th ed which details what is to be pllaced on a ballot?

For example, we are voting on new members who must be sponsored. The chair desire is to have the name of the sponsor, name of the candidate, picutre of the  candidate, event attendance and then a check box for yes/no. I do not feel it is appropriate and would like some clarification.

Is there a specifc reference in RONR 11th ed which details what is to be pllaced on a ballot?

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 413-414.

For example, we are voting on new members who must be sponsored. The chair desire is to have the name of the sponsor, name of the candidate, picutre of the  candidate, event attendance and then a check box for yes/no. I do not feel it is appropriate and would like some clarification.

While I agree that it seems unusual to place so much information on the ballot, RONR doesn't prohibit it. Personally, I think the name of the candidate and the yes/no check box would be plenty.

RONR's opening sentence in the reference given by Josh Martin states "A ballot can consist of simply a small slip of paper on which the voter writes his choice in a manner directed by the chair;"  You could reasonably conclude from this that RONR's position is that the simpler the ballot, the better.

Except for the "no" part.

But this isn't an election to office - it's an acceptance or rejection of a person as a new member.

RONR's opening sentence in the reference given by Josh Martin states "A ballot can consist of simply a small slip of paper on which the voter writes his choice in a manner directed by the chair;"  You could reasonably conclude from this that RONR's position is that the simpler the ballot, the better.

Well, blank slips of paper may not be the best option here. The paragraph continues "but if it is known ahead of time that a vote is to be by ballot and what the exact questions are, the ballots should be prepared in advance for distribution at the proper time. In such a case, each question to be voted on appears on the ballot with a list of the possible answers beside blank spaces or boxes, so that the voter can check the answer he desires" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 413, lines 15-21). Even this language (and the example ballot shown at the bottom of the page), however, hardly suggests that the ballot should include the amount of information that the chair desires.

Well, blank slips of paper may not be the best option here. The paragraph continues "but if it is known ahead of time that a vote is to be by ballot and what the exact questions are, the ballots should be prepared in advance for distribution at the proper time. In such a case, each question to be voted on appears on the ballot with a list of the possible answers beside blank spaces or boxes, so that the voter can check the answer he desires" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 413, lines 15-21). Even this language (and the example ballot shown at the bottom of the page), however, hardly suggests that the ballot should include the amount of information that the chair desires.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that guest DMVLady's organization use blank pieces of paper for the vote on this question - just that minmal necessary information is preferable to lots of information not directly related to expressing one's choice. I agree completely with your last sentence.

Archived