The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Commit to Committee

Guest mknunan

Can a topic be discussed in a committee and introduced (if passed in committee) as a main motion at a meeting of a society, or must the motion be made and seconded at a meeting of the society and referred (committed) to a committee for further consideration by the chair; or does that depend upon what the bylaws say about the topic?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of both methods?

Can a topic be discussed in a committee and introduced (if passed in committee) as a main motion at a meeting of a society,

Yes, unless the organization's rules provide otherwise (and I find it unlikely that they would). The society may refer it back to the committee, but it is under no obligation to do so.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both methods?

I can't imagine any advantages to requiring, as a general rule, that a motion be referred back to the committee which just proposed it. If the assembly wishes to refer the motion back to a committee in a particular case, it is free to do so.

I did not mean for a motion to be referred back to a committee.  My question is, must a motion be referred to a committee, by the chair at a meeting of the society before being brought up for consideration?  In other words, can a committee discuss a topic and vote on it (before a regular meeting), before being referred (committed) to a committee by the society chair at a regular meeting?

My question is, must a motion be referred to a committee, by the chair at a meeting of the society before being brought up for consideration?

No.

In other words, can a committee discuss a topic and vote on it (before a regular meeting), before being referred (committed) to a committee by the society chair at a regular meeting?

Yes. Committees can make recommendations on their own initiative.

Additionally, the chair doesn't have the authority to refer motions to committees unless your rules so provide - only the assembly can do that, by majority vote.

Archived