The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Having audiance questions recorded in minutes

Guest RWestman

Where I live we have a homeowner's association with an elected Board. Once a month the Board meets. As a homeowner I am allowed to attend the meeting and ask questions. Recently the Board has stopped recording my questions and the answers in the Official Board Minutes. When I asked why this was being done the Board President said he would decide what would and would not be placed in the Minutes. The Board, in our By-Laws say they follow Robert's Rules. I believe the Board President does not want the questions and answers recorded because some of the questions make the Board look bad.

1. Should the questions and answers be recorded in the Minutes? What Rule covers this?

2. If they are not required to record the questions and answers is there a way I can have them recorded?

Thank you,

Ron

Should the questions and answers be recorded in the Minutes? 

The minutes are the official record of what was done at a meeting (e.g. motions made) and not what was said (e.g. debate on those motions). The minutes might record that time was given to questions and comments from homeowners but the content of those questions (and any answers) would not be included.

When I asked why this was being done the Board President said he would decide what would and would not be placed in the Minutes.

The board president is not correct that he gets to decide what will and what will not be placed in the board's minutes. That's up to the board.

1. Should the questions and answers be recorded in the Minutes? What Rule covers this?

No. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 468-471 for what should be in the minutes. You'll note that questions and their answers are not listed.

2. If they are not required to record the questions and answers is there a way I can have them recorded?

You can't. The board could order it, but if it does so I would advise recording them in a separate document from the minutes.

Archived