The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vicious cycle of amendments

William Kennedy

The Board of Directors has the sole authority to amend the organization's bylaws; these take effect immediately. However they must be confirmed by the general membership at the Annual General Meeting.

If the general membership rejects the Board's amendment, what Rule, if any, prohibits the Board from adopting substantially the same amendment all over again?

The Board of Directors has the sole authority to amend the organization's bylaws; these take effect immediately. However they must be confirmed by the general membership at the Annual General Meeting.

If the general membership rejects the Board's amendment, what Rule, if any, prohibits the Board from adopting substantially the same amendment all over again?

The general rule is found on page 483, lines 6-13, and on page 577, lines 23-33. Your bylaw provision, however, is beyond my comprehension.

The general rule is found on page 483, lines 6-13, and on page 577, lines 23-33. Your bylaw provision, however, is beyond my comprehension.

As are the statutes, which govern non-profit corporations. The good news is that a new law will be replacing them soon which will, as I understand, bring them more into line with those south of the border. In the meantime I have taken your earlier advice to seek legal counsel in some of these matters. However, as I am sure you are aware, lawyers are not often well-acquainted with RONR.

Your guidance, and that of others here, with respect to the Rules has helped enormously, and may lead to the successful and amicable resolution of a dire predicament. Of course, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but the fog of ignorance is lifting! My gratitude is unbounded.

Archived