The Official RONR Q & A Forums

which correspondence is written by secretary

Guest Mark H

Two related questions:

(1) I read somewhere that one purpose of a corresponding secretary is to act as a check on the president, so that the president cannot take over the organization and send letters that look official but don't represent the organization's will.  However, I cannot find a reference to this idea. If this is indeed the purpose, I think the secretary should write all letters notifying someone of an official action of the organization.  True?

(2) In my organization, the custom is for the president to write the letters that he or she cares about, leaving only less important correspondence to the secretary.  Our by-laws are silent on this, and I don't see anything in Robert's about which "correspondence" is in the purview of the secretary. The particular question at the moment is whether a written request that a member resign (because her membership in the organization increases the organization's legal liability to an unacceptable level) should come from the president or the secretary.  The vote to make the request was unanimous, so this isn't a question of control or authority, just a question of form and role.  However, the request is so delicate that I want to have it done properly.

Thank you for any advice.

(1) I read somewhere that one purpose of a corresponding secretary is to act as a check on the president, so that the president cannot take over the organization and send letters that look official but don't represent the organization's will.  However, I cannot find a reference to this idea. If this is indeed the purpose, I think the secretary should write all letters notifying someone of an official action of the organization.  True?

I've never heard of this idea of the corresponding secretary serving as a check on the President. Nonetheless, it is correct that the Corresponding Secretary should handle all correspondence of the organization except that which falls under the duties of another officer or a committee.

Our by-laws are silent on this, and I don't see anything in Robert's about which "correspondence" is in the purview of the secretary.

See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 459, lines 18-23; pg. 460, lines 28-34.

The particular question at the moment is whether a written request that a member resign (because her membership in the organization increases the organization's legal liability to an unacceptable level) should come from the president or the secretary.  The vote to make the request was unanimous, so this isn't a question of control or authority, just a question of form and role.  However, the request is so delicate that I want to have it done properly.

The corresponding secretary should write the letter unless the motion or the organization's rules state otherwise.

Archived