The Official RONR Q & A Forums

After Criteria is Set

Guest Dee Dee

Hello, my organization has set criteria for active membership; this criteria has been established to ensure members participate in specific activities. The criteria is well known to the organization as it is listed in the organization By-Laws. The organization hosted a new activity in June 2013 that was optional for participation.

In August 2013, it was voted to include this (June) activity as part of the criteria for active membership. The motion passed.

My question, is it proper to be able to vote to include a new activity as criteria for active membership, if it were not properly announced/voted on by the membership body prior to the activity?

If we plan on executing this activity in 2014, it would be appropriate then, as the organization should take a vote to include the activity in the By-Laws for maintaining active membership.

But I am not sure that you can include this activity for 2013 criteria, considering it was after the fact, and has not been voted on by the membership body.

Please advise of Roberts Rule guidance.  Thank you so much...

My question, is it proper to be able to vote to include a new activity as criteria for active membership, if it were not properly announced/voted on by the membership body prior to the activity?

The organization may, if it wishes, include this activity as part of the criteria for active membership for the current year, although I agree that this doesn't seem terribly fair. It would, however, require an amendment to the bylaws to do so.

The organization may, if it wishes, include this activity as part of the criteria for active membership for the current year, although I agree that this doesn't seem terribly fair. It would, however, require an amendment to the bylaws to do so.

The bylaws might permit the membership to establish what constitutes a criterion. 

The bylaws might permit the membership to establish what constitutes a criterion. 

Hmm. Good point.

Hello, my organization has set criteria for active membership; this criteria has been established to ensure members participate in specific activities. The criteria is well known to the organization as it is listed in the organization By-Laws.

Do the bylaws authorize the membership to establish additional criteria without amending the bylaws?

Archived