The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive committee voting in full meeting

Guest russ rutter

I'm a member of a small group that has an executive committee. If that executive committee has already voted to present a motion, it is my understanding that it has already voted once and thus may not vote again in the full group meeting. Is my understanding correct?

Committees don't vote; members vote.

Someone who is a member of both the executive committee and "the full group" can vote in a meeting of either body and can vote one way at a meeting of the executive committee and another way, on the same question, at a meeting of "the full body".

In other words, at a meeting of the executive committee, he can vote to present a motion to "the full body" and, as a member of "the full body", he can either vote for or against that motion.

If that's what you're asking.

If the executive committee has the power to act, then it's not clear why the question would come up again before the larger group. 

The larger group might have chosen to Rescind or Amend the Executive Committee's action. Or the Executive Committee might not have the power to act in this case (or has chosen not to act).

Archived