The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to use Gavel with Robert's Rules

Guest nick

So I have read the Robert's Rules (simplified version) but I'm confused on when should I strike the gavel during a meeting. I know I strike it at the beginning of the meeting when I say "*hit* The meeting will come to order" and at the end after I say "if there is no more business to conduct, the meeting is adjourned *hit*". Do I also hit it when a motion passes/fails? or is there particular times when I'm not supposed to use it?

Very much appreciate it.

Do I also hit it when a motion passes/fails?

No.

or is there particular times when I'm not supposed to use it?

You've pretty much covered everything. The other times to use it are when declaring a recess (or calling the meeting back to order after a recess) and when calling a member to order.

The gavel should be used very sparingly, so that when you do use it, it gets people's attention.

Your best bet is to avoid using it.

If there is a small group of people, that's a great idea.  But with larger groups (i.e. general membership meetings), the gavel can be quite useful to ensure you get the attention of people when required.  As Josh stated, basically at the beginning and end of a meeting, declaring a recess, coming out of a recess, or to call the assembly (or an individual) to order.  Sometimes, in my experience, in larger groups people can start having their own private discussions.  A quick tap with a gavel followed by a polite "Order please" usually helps.

If there is a small group of people, that's a great idea.  But with larger groups (i.e. general membership meetings), the gavel can be quite useful to ensure you get the attention of people when required.  As Josh stated, basically at the beginning and end of a meeting, declaring a recess, coming out of a recess, or to call the assembly (or an individual) to order.  Sometimes, in my experience, in larger groups people can start having their own private discussions.  A quick tap with a gavel followed by a polite "Order please" usually helps.

I don't think Mr. Mervosh is saying to avoid using the gavel altogether. It can be a useful tool, as you note. Rather, I think he is saying "If in doubt, don't use it," and I think that is good advice. Based on personal experience and the questions on gavel use we get on the forum, it seems most chairs with gavels use them too much.

Archived