The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendment for Hiring a School Superintendent

Guest Holli

made a motion to appoint _____to serve as interim/acting superintendent with terms and contractual details to be negotiated upon his acceptance.  ____seconded. 

____offered an amendment that the interim/acting superintendent not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and that he serves at the pleasure of the Board.  The amendment passed on a vote of 4-3 with affirmations from __, ____, ____, and _____.

repeated the motion that was seconded by _____to appoint ____to serve as interim/acting superintendent with terms and contractual details to be negotiated upon his acceptance.  The vote passed 5-2 with affirmation from _, _, _, _, and _.  _and _dissented. 

made a motion to appoint _____to serve as interim/acting superintendent with terms and contractual details to be negotiated upon his acceptance.  ____seconded. 

____offered an amendment that the interim/acting superintendent not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and that he serves at the pleasure of the Board.  The amendment passed on a vote of 4-3 with affirmations from __, ____, ____, and _____.

repeated the motion that was seconded by _____to appoint ____to serve as interim/acting superintendent with terms and contractual details to be negotiated upon his acceptance.  The vote passed 5-2 with affirmation from _, _, _, _, and _.  _and _dissented. 

What is your question?

They are treating this as if the amendment was approved is part of this final vote..

Well, was it? It appears that the amendment was approved. Did the chair include the wording from the amendment when he put the question on the main motion, and they just goofed it up in the minutes? Or did the chair leave that wording out of the motion?

can a new motion be made by any board member that approves the person as superintendent in the coming months or does the person who made the amendment have to do that?

I'll assume for now that the language from the amendment was, in fact, included in the final motion, and the minutes are simply in error.

Any member of the board may make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted to remove the language "that the interim/acting superintendent not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and that he serves at the pleasure of the Board" from the motion.

Y

She hid it in the post tag  "Can amendment be reversed"

I'd help answer it but I can't tell if the final motion adopted included the language from the primary amendment or not.  There may not be anything to reverse.

Yes, the amendment was part of the final vote.  Can a new motion be made by any board member that approves the person as superintendent in the coming months or does the person who made the amendment have to do that?

Y

Yes, the amendment was part of the final vote.  Can a new motion be made by any board member that approves the person as superintendent in the coming months or does the person who made the amendment have to do that?

As Mr. Martin notes, any member can make the motion.  Any means any.

Well, was it? It appears that the amendment was approved. Did the chair include the wording from the amendment when he put the question on the main motion, and they just goofed it up in the minutes? Or did the chair leave that wording out of the motion?

I'll assume for now that the language from the amendment was, in fact, included in the final motion, and the minutes are simply in error.

Any member of the board may make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted to remove the language "that the interim/acting superintendent not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and that he serves at the pleasure of the Board" from the motion

The minutes are not in error unless the whole thing was in error :(  ... they approved the amendment after the second of the original motion. ... then they approved the original motion without repeating the amendment  (because the amendment was approved with four votes separately)  ????  So, does that mean that a new motion (if ever wanted) can be made to overturn that amendment or just make a new motion that states something like, "I move to approve Holli for the position of Supt.??

Any member of the board may make a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted to remove the language "that the interim/acting superintendent not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and that he serves at the pleasure of the Board" from the motion

The minutes are not in error unless the whole thing was in error :(  ... they approved the amendment after the second of the original motion. ... then they approved the original motion without repeating the amendment  (because the amendment was approved with four votes separately)  ????  So, does that mean that a new motion (if ever wanted) can be made to overturn that amendment or just make a new motion that states something like, "I move to approve Holli for the position of Supt.??

From what you're telling me, the minutes are not in error. The chair was in error.

An amendment to a main motion changes the wording of the main motion. By adopting the amendment, the members simply said that they wanted that language to be part of the motion. It appears, however, that the chair forgot to include that wording, so it was not finally adopted. The chair should have stated that the question was on the main motion as amended, which now reads: "To appoint ____to serve as interim/acting superintendent with terms and contractual details to be negotiated upon his acceptance. The interim/acting superintendent shall not be considered for the permanent position of superintendent and shall serve at the pleasure of the board." The chair should take great care to do this in the future (and he should probably ensure that members specify how to amend the motion rather than having the Secretary guess). 

The wording used by the chair is what the assembly actually adopted. Therefore, as Mr. Mervosh hinted at in Post #3, there is no need to remove the language from the amendment, since the chair failed to state it in the main motion when he put the question. It is indeed correct that, when the time comes, a member can simply move to appoint the person as Superintendent, since the assembly has not adopted any motion which prohibits this.

But what if I don't want to reverse the amendment.., what can I do as a member of the board of directors to make sure the amendment remains.

You can't make sure that it remains because (as we just discussed) the chair forgot to include it in the first place.

If you want the amendment, you would need to use Amend Something Previously Adopted to put it in.

Yes, the amendment was part of the final vote.  ?

They are treating this as if the amendment was approved is part of this final vote..

Josh, I'll admit the facts are all over the place here but it seems like there's nothing for her to do at this point if she wants the amendment to remain, right?

Josh, I'll admit the facts are all over the place here but it seems like there's nothing for her to do at this point if she wants the amendment to remain, right?

I suppose if the members are under the impression that the amendment is, in fact, part of the motion, and Holly wishes the members to remain under this impression, her best course of action is to pretend everything is fine. :)

Archived