The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to start using Robert's Rules of Order

Guest Michelle G

Hi, I'm new to this world of Robert's Rules of Order for an organization I am involved with.  How is it you start using these rules?  More specifically, if in our by-laws, it is not stated that we run our meetings according to the Robert's Rules of Order, do we need to start off each meeting by stating that we will be conducting our business outlined by Robert's Rules of Order, or is it just assumed we will be?  We have a lot of new club members who are not familiar with these rules and some of the 'old timers' end up ruling the meetings because they pick and pull what they want from Robert's rules to get their way...  So I was just wondering if the rules are not stated in our by-laws that we will be running the meetings according to these rules, do the rules apply?

Thanks,

Michelle G

Hi, I'm new to this world of Robert's Rules of Order for an organization I am involved with.  How is it you start using these rules?  More specifically, if in our by-laws, it is not stated that we run our meetings according to the Robert's Rules of Order, do we need to start off each meeting by stating that we will be conducting our business outlined by Robert's Rules of Order, or is it just assumed we will be?  We have a lot of new club members who are not familiar with these rules and some of the 'old timers' end up ruling the meetings because they pick and pull what they want from Robert's rules to get their way...  So I was just wondering if the rules are not stated in our by-laws that we will be running the meetings according to these rules, do the rules apply?

If an organization has not adopted a parliamentary authority, it is still bound by the common parliamentary law, and RONR can certainly be considered a persuasive authority on the common parliamentary law. It is generally preferable, however, to formally adopt a parliamentary authority, such as RONR. See How Your Organization Can Adopt Robert's Rules for more information.

And meanwhile get and give (A Columbus Day present?) a copy of RONRIB to the presiding officer and anybody else you think might benefit (including yourself-?).

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

Archived