The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What if you cannot gather a quorum in accordance with bylaws

Guest Robert

What can be done when the membership of the organization drops below the minimum number needed to form a quorum.  i.e.. the bylaws state that we need 15 members present or 20% of the member ship present which ever is greater (yes I mean greater) to form a quorum, however there are no longer 15 active members available.

This is not exactly (not hardly!) found in RONR but...  can you get up a meeting with all the members present?   Do so and then amend the bylaws to a better (some percentage, say) quorum. Be sure you follow all the (other) rules in your bylaw about amending the bylaws.

If all the members are present, and go along with this (why would they not!), who's to complain?

What can be done when the membership of the organization drops below the minimum number needed to form a quorum.  i.e.. the bylaws state that we need 15 members present or 20% of the member ship present which ever is greater (yes I mean greater) to form a quorum, however there are no longer 15 active members available.

How are new members admitted to the organization? Does it require a vote of the membership? If not, perhaps you can get some more members.

Also, you say that there are no long 15 "active" members available. What exactly do you mean by this? Do your bylaws distinguish between "active" and "inactive" members?

Archived