The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Need to call a special meeting

Guest Sheila

Due to scheduling conflicts, our Council's regular meeting had to be rescheduled (prior to the next regularly scheduled meeting).  Does this then make it a "special meeting"?

No, but the "rescheduling" might not be proper to begin with. How was the meeting "rescheduled?" How are your meetings usually scheduled?

The meeting is being rescheduled, in advance, and by notice to all Town Clerks & the Secretary of State's office, as well as all members.  This is the same procedure as is followed when noticing a regular meeting.

Let me rephrase my question - who usually schedules the meetings, and who decided to "reschedule" this meeting?

Although, since it seems your question is about a governmental entity, your question may have more to do with applicable law than with RONR.

The same entity that schedules the meeting is the one who rescheduled the meeting.

Yes, but what entity is that?

My concern is that the council schedules its own meetings. If this is the case, the council cannot decide in advance to reschedule a meeting, since the council can only make decisions at a meeting unless the organization's bylaws provide otherwise.

The by-laws state that the Council can vary from the regular schedule if there is an agreement from the members.

I'm not sure that necessarily means that the council's members are authorized to make such a decision outside of a meeting, but it's ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

In any event, nothing from the facts provided suggests to me that the meeting would somehow become a special meeting. It looks to me that it's either a valid regular meeting, or it isn't a valid meeting at all.

At this point, could the council (or board of some kind) call a special meeting for the explicit business of changing the time of a future meeting? 

It could, but if whatever the council needs to do is so urgent that it must be done before the regular meeting, it would be simpler to call the special meeting to just deal with whatever the urgent issue was.

If it can wait until after the regular meeting, then it would be simpler to just have a handful of members gather and reschedule the meeting at that time. The motion to Fix the Time to Which to Adjourn can be adopted even if the meeting lacks a quorum.

Archived