The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Using names directly in emails

Guest Barry

Is there anything in Roberts Rules that states you cannot use peoples name or job titles in emails and must refrain from this action.  We have members who continue to do in an unprofessional manner and we believe they should use board titles.

I found the following since the last reply received and would further discussion to the question and if my interepretation is correct.

Roberts Rules, 11th Edition, page 393, AVOIDING THE USE OF MEMBERS’ NAMES; basically states that, during a debate, one should refer to title or another way versus using names of members.  Once we move into voting names may be used and also after the vote we may move back using names.

Roberts Rules, 11th Edition, page 393, AVOIDING THE USE OF MEMBERS’ NAMES; basically states that, during a debate, one should refer to title or another way versus using names of members.  Once we move into voting names may be used and also after the vote we may move back using names.

I found the following since the last reply received and would further discussion to the question and if my interepretation is correct.

It's correct that, if possible, members should avoid using the names of members in debate. In some cases, this may not be possible, and in such a case I'd advise using the member's last name, along with his title (if appropriate). First names should certainly be avoided.

I can't imagine why it would be necessary to use names during voting unless the vote is taken by roll call, in which case the Secretary would certainly be using members' names (althouth I believe last names and titles would be preferable, as above).

What do you mean by "after the vote?" Unless you're using the small board rules, what would happen "after the vote" is that the assembly would move on to the next item of business, so the assembly would be in debate again very shortly. I suppose there might be occasions where a member might speak outside of debate (such as a presentation), and then it might be appropriate to use members' names (although, again, last names and titles would be better than first names). If you are using the small board rules, however, and you're referring to "informal discussion without a motion pending," I would still advise to avoid using members' names as much as possible.

In any event, the original poster asked about whether to use members' names in e-mails, and as I have previously noted, RONR is concerned primarily with conduct during meetings.

Archived