The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting minutes before they are distributed

Guest Ellen Kay Miller

Guest Ellen Kay Miller

The secretary of our organization sends the minutes to the president for her approval before sending them to the members. The secretary is angry because the president makes minor correction--mostly insignificant--without secretarial approval. Is it okay for the president to do this?

Is it okay for the president to do this?

Nothing in RONR requires the secretary to submit the draft minutes to the president (or to any other member) though the secretary is free to do so (within the limits of any confidentiality requirements). Nor is the secretary obligated to accept any of the president's suggested "corrections". The secretary is the one who submits the draft for approval at the next meeting, with or without anyone else's suggestions.

Depending on the nature of the organization and the degree of knowledge or involvement of the Secretary in a lot of detail, it may make sense (especially for board meeting draft minutes) for the Secretary to send a draft to one or more members ahead of general distribution of a draft (or distribution at the board meeting). I am on a board and am an officer (not the Chair) and I am the most involved in the details of the organization and bring up most of the board issues at meetings. Our secretary sends me her draft, and I make corrections, such as spelling of organizations/names, exact wording of certain things and so on. She appreciates my input and I make it clear that everything I change is up to her to agree to. As a result of this process, there are rarely any corrections to the draft minutes offered at the board meeting. While we have had contentious issues at our board meetings, the minutes have never been a source of contention or disagreement. if we did not do this, significant time would be added to each board meeting.

Archived