The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Response for Information

Guest Ron

Maybe depending on if the person being queried is speaking in debate when the question is answered.  If no one is speaking in debate then there is no clock ticking but if the person is speaking then he or she is asked (by the Chair) if he or she is willing to be asked a question.  If the speaker consents then the time for the question and answer are taken out of his or her speaking time.  See RONR pp. 294-295 for details. 

As for how long a member is allowed to speak in debate the default rule per RONR pp. 387-390 is two ten minute speeches per question per day unless the members have adopted a motion to limit (or extend) debate or there is an adopted rule in place changing the default rule.

The person requesting information is asking a question(s) to a motion that has been proposed. Can this person ask more than one question? Is this person limited to the amount of time to ask a question(s)?

As noted, it depends when the question is asked. If a member tries to ask a question of a member who is currently speaking, the member must consent to the interruption, and if he consents, the question and the member's responses are charged to the time of the member speaking in debate. I would say that the member's consent would also be required to ask another question. The member speaking in debate is limited to ten minutes unless your rules provide otherwise.

If the member is asking questions when no one is currently speaking in debate, he is free to ask multiple questions and there is no time limit.

As noted, it depends when the question is asked. If a member tries to ask a question of a member who is currently speaking, the member must consent to the interruption, and if he consents, the question and the member's responses are charged to the time of the member speaking in debate. I would say that the member's consent would also be required to ask another question. The member speaking in debate is limited to ten minutes unless your rules provide otherwise.

If the member is asking questions when no one is currently speaking in debate, he is free to ask multiple questions and there is no time limit.

If I understand things correctly however, the member doesn't necessarily hold the floor.  Couldn't the presiding officer recognize a different member after a question (or a few)  is asked and answered, even if that first member has still more questions?

I can't find any reference but somewhere I thought i read that the member should be seated after asking his question. Not sure though.

If I understand things correctly however, the member doesn't necessarily hold the floor.  Couldn't the presiding officer recognize a different member after a question (or a few)  is asked and answered, even if that first member has still more questions?

I can't find any reference but somewhere I thought i read that the member should be seated after asking his question. Not sure though.

Your correct that he doesn't obtain the floor.  RONR notes on p. 294 it is treated much like a parliamentary inquiry, and it is stated there "In making an inquiry, the inquirer arises, and without obtaining the floor, addresses the chair as follows....." 

I think the presiding officer could move on and recognize another member after he answers the member's question.

Your correct that he doesn't obtain the floor.  RONR notes on p. 294 it is treated much like a parliamentary inquiry, and it is stated there "In making an inquiry, the inquirer arises, and without obtaining the floor, addresses the chair as follows....." 

I think the presiding officer could move on and recognize another member after he answers the member's question.

Ah it was right on the page I was looking at !  Doh!

Sure, and then after that member's done, he can rise and ask another question.

Archived